Pages

Saturday, May 15, 2004

Hymns vs Songs

Post concerning a letter sent to a pastor regarding church music.
This poor pastor got roasted...


...by one of his members. Read the following letter -





"Pastor, I am not a music scholar, but I feel I know appropriate church music when I hear it. Last Sunday's new hymn, if you call it that, sounded like a sentimental love ballad one might expect to hear crooned in a saloon. If you persist in exposing us to rubbish like this in God's house, don't be surprised if many of the faithful look for a new place to worship. The hymns we grew up with are all we need."





You might imagine this person was talking about the latest Hillsong or Vineyard offering. In fact, the letter was written in 1865 and they were objecting to the classic hymn "Just As I Am"!





Some things never change...


- posted by Craig @ 3:29 PM
The question it brings up is certainly a valid one and I'm not ready to take over this blogger's position just yet, but I did find the letter interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment