Pages

Sunday, November 06, 2005

The New Criterion — Science versus scientism: "Nietzsche also prophesied the consequences of God’s absence, summarized in the epigram of Dostoevsky’s Ivan Karamazov: “If God is dead, anything goes.” Nietzsche foretold a bloody twentieth century of unprecedented, catastrophic wars, to be followed by a twenty-first century in which human beings, retaining an atavistic sense of guilt but absent a god offering forgiveness and absolution of sins, begin to loathe one another and themselves. Faith in God would be replaced by allegiance to barbaric brotherhoods at war with non-brothers. Although Socrates, Kant, and many others denied the necessary dependence of morality on a divine foundation, Nietzsche foretold the total eclipse of all values in the absence of divinely sanctioned moral codes and denied the possibility of belief in moral obligations without the authority of a God who supports them with a divine imperative."

1 comment:

  1. Of which i totally agree with.

    I'm too busy/lazy to look up Nietzsche. Yet I still wonder about this guy. Is he someone I should know? Should I go 'Aaw' when I hear his name like i know his worldview and where the conversation is headed?

    like the quote says 'it is not others knowing me but me not knowing others that is my danger'

    Since i totally butchered that quote, it is time for me to head to bed.

    ReplyDelete