Pages

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Tolerance

Rick Garnett's comments on the Afghani execution of the converted Christian at Mirror of Justice definitely hit home.

Mirror of Justice: "I do not mean to be flip, but it seems to me that Sir Charles James Napier got it right. Napier was the British commander-in-chief in India, and he prohibited the Hindu practice of sati ('suttee'), i.e., burning widows alive on the funeral pyres of their husbands. When some Hindu leaders objected, Napier is said to have replied:
You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours.'"
I'd also recommend John Coleman's thoughts over at Signs of the Times.

Update: The actual definition finally comes out from the Islamic presiding judge (credit to Kushiner over at Mere Comments):
"We will ask him if he has changed his mind about being a Christian. If he has, we will forgive him, because Islam is a religion of tolerance."

1 comment:

  1. Nick, I like the post. That quote from Napier is good. For whatever reason, I am reminded of the phrase, "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter." I think Napier would have something to say about that. Oh, by the way, I like the other quote too. Not much tolerance there, eh?

    ReplyDelete