Pages

Sunday, June 11, 2006

on vain knowing (or on blogging)

Chad's post reminds us to be wary in our technologically damaging world. By binding us to abstact arguments, factoids, and ultimately to passive propositions, perhaps we are losing sight of real relationships, stories, and ultimately of God. (Sorry Chad, this probably goes further than your post hoped to, but it's definitely something I've found in my own life):
"What is important? Well, for one, vain intellectual pursuits aren’t, like interminable arguments with my parish liturgist which never change either one of us. Neither is blogging. Oddly, I can see a pattern: as I get more wrapped up in the latest news, the latest argument, my latest essay, other things suffer: first and foremost, I don’t pray as much, and I sin more."
To which this quotation from one of CH Spurgeon's sermons fits nicely:
"That insatiable craving to know everything just draws away the life of men from what ought to be - their insatiabe craving, namely, to be like God, to know him, to trust him, to love him, and to serve him."
CH Spurgeon (~2:50)

Also recommended on this topic (and its related tributaries) are these tNP articles on practicing the discipline of place (mentioned in a previous post), agrarianism, and localism as possible solutions to dehumanizing alienation.

No comments:

Post a Comment